This week on The Living Experiment, we’re talking about Sleep — why it’s so hugely important, and how you can get more of the healthy sleep your body deserves.
After touching briefly on some science-y fundamentals, we delve into how you can get the kind of high-quality rest your body needs to repair damage, rebalance itself, and thrive.
We share insights about how to overcome important but little-known barriers to a decent night’s rest.
And of course, we offer you experiments to help you start sleeping better — tonight, and for the rest of your life.
“Sleep” Episode Highlights
- First, a listener question: We weigh in on a married couple’s difference of opinion on “cheat meals”
- Next, sleep: Why humans need it so much, the importance of our daily circadian rhythms, and the negative effects of interrupting them
- Daily habits that prepare you for a good night’s rest, starting with sunlight first thing in the morning
- The effects of caffeine, alcohol, electronic screens, high-drama entertainment, light, and noise
- The importance of a bedtime wind-down ritual, a lowered thermostat, and natural, breathable bedding
- Tips for dealing with sleep interruptions and trouble falling back into sleep
Every week for one month, get into bed 15 minutes earlier. Notice if you feel sharper in the afternoon and less cranky in the evening.
1) Make a mindful pre-retirement ritual of preparing and slowly drinking a cup of herbal (non-caffeinated) tea while you get ready for bed. Carry it around with you, sipping it slowly, noticing how the temperature decreases with each sip.
2) While drinking your tea, prepare your bedroom for sleep by eliminating all sources of light and making your space as calm, clear, and comfortable as possible.
Share the Love!
Have you told your friends and family about The Living Experiment? If you dig it, please do! Every recommendation from you means a lot.
We’d also love to have you connect with us on Facebook. Tell us about your experiments, and share your thoughts, stories and reflections there.
- Our discussions of seasonal sleep patterns in other The Living Experiment episodes “Seasons”, “Winter” and “Spring”.
- Our discussion of sleep while traveling and staying in hotels: “Travel”.
- A collection of recommended articles on sleep from Experience Life magazine:
- “The Healing Power of Sleep” (opens with the cautionary tale of the guy who tried to forego sleep in order to net more productive time for work)
- Your top 10 sleep mistakes, solved
- “Social-Media Use Linked to Sleep Problems in Millenials”
- How sleep influences your DNA (and your metabolic machinery)
- For more articles, type “sleep” into the search engine
- A fascinating, scientific exploration of sleeping, dreaming and awakening in Dr. Rubin Naiman’s book Healing Night.
- Sign up for The Living Experiment newsletter so you can stay up to date with us, get free gifts, and receive new-show notifications when new episodes are released.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on Apple Podcasts to have fresh episodes delivered to your podcast feed each week.