“Travel” Episode Highlights
- Why traveling (especially for work) can take a huge toll on your health (3:25)
- Dallas shares his unfortunate encounter with bed bugs (4:45)
- The challenges of healthy eating on the road, and why planning and preparing so important (8:00)
- Why breakfast is a big deal (11:00)
- Packing “low-maintenance” food for the trip (12:15)
- Pilar’s “Quick-Trick Snack Stack” (14:50)
- The special lure of cravings on the road (16:20)
- Finding healthy options away from home (19:00)
- Consider bringing some condiments (23:10)
- Weighing your options — eating junk vs. not eating at all. (25:00)
- Getting to sleep in weird hotel rooms (27:30)
- The worry of waking up on time (32:55)
- Why relying on TV to wind down or fall asleep is a bad idea, and how to avoid it with a bedtime ritual (34:15)
- Staying “regular” when you are off your normal schedule and out of your normal environment (39:30)
- Fitting in exercise (or not) (41:30)
- The value of getting out and about (46:50)
- Being where you are vs. being consumed by your digital devices (48:30)
- Experiments for the week (54:00)
This Week’s Experiments
Dallas suggests: Tweak your hotel room for better sleep. Plus: Ask locals for on-the-ground advice.
- Lower the room temperature, use a white-noise app to cover ambient sounds, and get the room as dark as possible (blocking light from clocks, under the door, etc.)
- Connect with the people in the community by getting their suggestions for what to do and where to go.
Pilar suggests: Avoid an unhealthy, mediocre breakfast by packing your own basic supplies. Plus: Mimic your home evening routine while staying in your hotel.
- Bring nuts, seeds, flaked coconut, and dried fruit with you, and order fresh berries and yogurt as a base. Having eggs? Ask for a side of sautéed greens.
- Make your hotel life feel more like home by maintaining your normal evening routine. Take a shower, unpack your suitcase, settle in.
Share the Love!
Each week, we offer you a few life-shifting experiments to try on your own. We’d love to hear how they turn out, and what insights they provoke! Connect with The Living Experiment on Facebook and Instagram, and share your stories with us there.
- For tips and tricks on planning for and finding healthy food on your trip: “Whole30 Business Travel 101” and “Whole30 On the Road & In the Wild (Part 1)”.
- For a fast, portable breakfast or anytime mini-meal, check out Pilar’s Quick-Trick Snack Stack method.
- Dallas’s More Social Less Media program can help you assess your relationship with technology.
- Sign up for our newsletter so you can stay up to date with us and future episodes.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on iTunes so you automatically get new episodes when they come out.
- Sponsor link: Check out Brian Johnson’s “Habits 101” Master Class for FREE.