This week on The Living Experiment, we’re talking about Conscious Language — the art of refining your words to support your higher choices, and the value of becoming more aware of how your verbal expressions both reflect and create your reality.
From the surprising power of key words and declarations, to the value of saying more of what you mean and less of what you don’t, we explore the ways language defines our experience, and how it shapes our connections with each other.
We also offer you some experiments to help you become more conscious of the way your current language patterns are playing out in your own life.
“Conscious Language” Episode Highlights
- How Pilar was introduced to the concept and study of Conscious Language
- The history of words as powerful tools for shaping belief and reality
- How language, like posture, both says a lot about you and can dramatically shift the way you feel
- Understanding the power of declaration, and the special importance of the words following statements like “I am”
- The value (and surprising challenge) of intentionally refining your word choice
- The rewards of accuracy and specificity — saying more of what you mean, less of what you don’t
- Ways to become more conscious of how your current language patterns are playing out
- Some tips and guidelines for upgrading your everyday communication
- How using conscious language can help us develop deeper, more authentic relationships with those around us
Review your language for a limiting word or phrase that you use regularly and consider eliminating it from your vocabulary or replacing it with a more consciously chosen option. Refer to the articles in the resources section for ideas and examples to get you started.
Do away with rhetorical conversation starters like “How are you?” and unless you authentically want to engage someone in conversation, don’t. When you do choose to open a conversation, rather than resorting to a throwaway question or small talk, consider more open-ended, curious inquiry — like, “What are you feeling most hopeful about?” (or if you know them well, “How’s your heart?”) — that will allow you to connect with them on a deeper level.
Happy, Healthy Goodness
Get your $19.95 annual print subscription to Experience Life magazine — a discounted rate for our podcast listeners! Or, sign up for one or more of their free e-newsletters!
Share the Love!
Have you told your friends and family about The Living Experiment? If you dig the podcast, please share it! Every recommendation from you means a lot!
We’d also love to have you connect with us on Facebook. Tell us about your experiments, and share your thoughts, stories and reflections there.
- “The Power of Language” by Cat Thompson via Experience Life magazine
- More information on resources from Cat Thompson via her Emotional Technologies site
- Further insights on conscious language in our “Busy” and “Therapy” episodes
- Conscious Language: The Logos of Now by Robert Tennyson Stevens
- “4 Ways to Change Your Life with Conscious Language” via mindbodygreen
- Sign up for The Living Experiment newsletter so you can stay up to date with us, get free gifts, and receive notifications when new episodes are released.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on Apple Podcasts to have fresh episodes delivered to your podcast feed each week.