This week on The Living Experiment, we’re talking about Therapy — the role it can play in our personal healing and evolution, and our suggestions for employing it in the service of your highest goals.
We both share a little bit about our own positive experiences working with therapists, and what we took away from our sessions.
We also talk about how therapy is different from coaching, why both can have a role in our personal growth and success, and how to go about finding a qualified therapist that’s right for you.
Finally, we offer you some experiments to help you explore whether therapy might benefit you at this point in your life.
“Therapy” Episode Highlights
- The reasons Dallas and Pilar have sought therapy, and what they got out of it
- Finding a good therapist that’s right for you, starting with defining what you want help with
- Thinking about a therapist like a personal trainer for your mental patterns and emotional processing
- The importance of knowing, understanding, loving and forgiving yourself — and how therapy can free you from what’s holding you back
- The difference between life coaching and therapy — “from here forward” vs. “life up to now and beyond” — and why you might choose one modality over the other, or both
- Cost as a barrier to seeking help, some tips for lessening the financial burden, and therapeutic techniques that teach you tools in just a few sessions
If you’ve never been to therapy, try at least one session; if it doesn’t feel right, find another therapist. If you haven’t been to a therapy in a while, recommit.
Share the Love!
Have you told your friends and family about The Living Experiment? If you dig it, please do! Every recommendation from you means a lot.
We’d also love to have you connect with us on Facebook. Tell us about your experiments, and share your thoughts, stories and reflections there.
- The “Do I Need Therapy?” quiz.
- “8 Signs You Should See a Therapist” via HuffPost.
- A guide for “How to Find the Right Therapist” from The New York Times.
- Wendell Berry’s Sex, Economy, Freedom & Community, from which Dallas read the passage about the practice of love.
- The Tools: 5 Tools to Help You Find Courage, Creativity, and Willpower–and Inspire You to Live Life in Forward Motion, a terrific book by therapists Phil Stutz and Barry Michels. For more info on the individual “Tools” and related resources, see www.thetoolsbook.com.
- Sign up for The Living Experiment newsletter so you can stay up to date with us, get free gifts, and receive notifications when new episodes are released.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on Apple Podcasts to have fresh episodes delivered to your podcast feed each week.