This week, we’re talking about Supplements — why you can’t rely on pills and powders for all your nourishment, and why you still might want to take some anyway.
We cover the value that both multis and targeted nutrients can have in filling dietary gaps, and why what works for your friend or partner might not work for you.
We both share the supplements we take (or don’t), and we offer you some recommendations on the supplements that most of the smart doctors and nutrition pros we know suggest as basics.
Finally, we offer some counsel on picking high quality products, and some recommendations for adjusting your own supplementation strategy in ways that work for you.
“Supplements” Episode Highlights
- Dallas’s three supplement questions: how much potential good can it do, what’s the risk that it can cause harm, and how expensive is it?
- Pilar’s philosophy on using supplements in the context of a modern diet — even a “healthy” one — that diverges from our diverse seasonal evolutionary nutrition sources
- The importance of understanding not just which supplements to take, but why
- Basic supplementation: high quality broad-spectrum multi-vitamins and multi-minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, magnesium, and probiotics
- A healthy microbiome’s role in absorbing nutrients (and what the microbiome is)
- Tips for choosing high-quality supplements, recommended brands, and ingredients to avoid
- Following a good practitioner’s nutrition protocols for particular health problems like migraines and arthritis
- The benefits of digestive enzymes
If you’re currently taking supplements and aren’t sure that they’re really helping, take a month off from all of them. Notice how you feel without them. Then reintroduce them and again take note of how you feel.
If you’re not taking any supplements, try the recommended dose of a high-quality multi-vitamin and multi-mineral for a month. If you don’t want to try one of those, try an essential fatty acid supplement. Notice how you feel.
Big Thanks to Our Friends at Optimize!
Thanks to our sponsor, Optimize by Heroic, for supporting The Living Experiment. Now you can get Optimize membership (formerly $250) for FREE just by signing up here. And check out the Heroic social training platform, with a goal of creating a world in which 51% of the world’s population is flourishing by 2051 — starting with YOU!
Share the Love!
Have you told your friends and family about The Living Experiment? If you dig the podcast, please share it! Every recommendation from you means a lot!
We’d also love to have you connect with us on Facebook. Tell us about your experiments, and share your thoughts, stories and reflections there.
- The whys and hows of healthy eating and supplementation in Dallas’s book, It Starts With Food
- PureGenomics® — advice for targeting supplementation based on results of genomic testing
- Supplement articles from Experience Life magazine: “Digestive Enzymes”, “Don’t Stop Taking Your Vitamins” and “5 Tips to Supplement With Vitamin D”
- A helpful blog from Mark Hyman, MD, on the counsel he offers his patients who have questions about supplements
- Advice on choosing high quality supplements via Deanna Minich, PhD
- Expert perspective on supplements and the supplements industry via Jeff Bland, PhD
- Sign up for The Living Experiment newsletter so you can stay up to date with us, get free gifts, and receive notifications when new episodes are released.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on Apple Podcasts to have fresh episodes delivered to your podcast feed each week.