This week on The Living Experiment, we’re talking about Purpose vs. Pleasure — the apparent tensions that exist between our pursuit of those aims, and the ways they can live in harmony.
We offer philosophical and biological insights on the roles that both purpose and pleasure have in guiding human experience.
We share how we’ve come to discern the difference between cravings and longings while honoring the real value of both.
Finally, we offer you some experiments to help you find the proper place for purpose and pleasure in your own life.
“Purpose vs. Pleasure” Episode Highlights
Dallas and Pilar consider how the goal of “finding” our purpose is often set up as being in opposition to the pursuit of hedonistic pleasures
Dallas’s take on cravings vs. longings — the role that modern processed food, digital stimulation, technology, pornography, and social media plays in shaping our appetites
- The intersections of pleasure and purpose — how they can complement, conflict with, and inform each other
- The potentially false dichotomies around purpose vs. pleasure, and the different sorts of gratification that come from each
- Pilar shares the story of her friend Cindy Joseph, who used her commitment to pleasure-centered living to guide her evolution of a successful purpose-driven business
How being socially connected and supported can moderate cravings and give you an advantage in pursuing your deeper longings, including your exploration of purpose
“Failure to launch” syndrome — how lacking role models for balancing purpose and pleasure is hamstringing a generation
Our society’s moral prohibitions against pleasure, its enticements to hedonic excesses, and the art of finding the sweet spot between the two
Pilar makes a case for tuning into how you feel about your pleasure/purpose balance and allowing your deepest appetites and intuitions to guide you
Some suggestions on purpose-centered navigating, and the importance of enjoying that quest
Healthy, Happy Goodness
Get your $19.95 annual print subscription to Experience Life magazine — a discounted rate for our podcast listeners! Or, sign up for one or more of their free e-newsletters!
Share the Love!
Have you told your friends and family about The Living Experiment? If you dig the podcast, please share it! Every recommendation from you means a lot!
We’d also love to have you connect with us on Facebook. Tell us about your experiments, and share your thoughts, stories and reflections there.
- “A Real Pleasure” — Pilar’s feature article on the practical health payoffs of pleasurable experiences, via Experience Life magazine.
- Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life by Hector Garcia.
- “Refine Your Life” a roundup of Pilar’s “Refine Your Life” workshop wisdom, as described by Brian Johnson, via Experience Life magazine.
- “How to Discover Your Purpose in Less Than 5 Seconds” video by Brian Johnson.
- “How to Figure Out Your Mission in Life” video by Brian Johnson.
- Resistance to Pleasure episode featuring instructors from Lafayette Morehouse
- The book Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
- Women, Food and Desire by Alexandra Jamieson
- Appetites by Caroline Knapp
- Carl Richards’s Behavior Gap Radio podcast
- Sign up for The Living Experiment newsletter so you can stay up to date with us, get free gifts, and receive notifications when new episodes are released.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on Apple Podcasts to have fresh episodes delivered to your podcast feed each week.