This week on The Living Experiment, while Dallas is off on adventures, Pilar has a very special guest: Geneen Roth.
Geneen has written close to a dozen terrific books, including Lost and Found: One Woman’s Story of Losing Her Money and Finding Her Life and When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair. She also teaches life-changing workshops all over the country.
Most of Geneen’s work explores the intricate, under-examined spaces between how we feel, think, act, and relate — to ourselves, to each other, and to the experience of being alive.
In this interview, a far-ranging conversation that stretches over two full episodes, Pilar delves into Geneen’s new book, This Messy Magnificent Life: A Field Guide. It’s a work so rich in wisdom, feeling, and funny insights that it’s kind of hard to categorize, and even harder to contain.
“This Messy Magnificent Life, Part 1” Episode Highlights
- The challenges and rewards of writing honestly about very personal (and universal) emotions and experiences
- Geneen’s story of learning to set physical and energetic boundaries, starting with a circle of red string
- Why women sometimes use excess body weight to create a sense of protection
- How our cultural obsession with thin bodies is distracting women from achieving their power as individuals and as a group
- What we gain by facing our fear and pain, rather than anesthetizing with addictions
- Thinking about life — and what’s truly important — in terms of how we spend our finite number of breaths
- Achieving freedom from anxiety by living in the small moments
Big Thanks to Our Friends at Optimize!
Thanks to our sponsor, Optimize by Heroic, for supporting The Living Experiment. Now you can get Optimize membership (formerly $250) for FREE just by signing up here. And check out the Heroic social training platform, with a goal of creating a world in which 51% of the world’s population is flourishing by 2051 — starting with YOU!
Share the Love!
Have you told your friends and family about The Living Experiment? If you dig the podcast, please share it! Every recommendation from you means a lot!
We’d also love to have you connect with us on Facebook. Tell us about your experiments, and share your thoughts, stories and reflections there.
- Geneen Roth’s main website, which includes a complete listing of her books
- Geneen’s most recent book, This Messy Magnificent Life, plus her tour schedule and links to her book-club guide
- Geneen’s master class on women, weight and power — free when you buy her new book
- Geneen on the power setting boundaries and reclaiming your rights to your own body (insights from her Red String Project)
- Geneen talking with Oprah about conscious eating and also about the bright side of losing all her money to Bernie Madoff
- Referenced by Geneen, Terry Gross’s interview with Gloria Steinem on Fresh Air
- “Nighttime Revival”, Pilar’s essay about her strategy for dealing with sleepless anxiety, which echoes Geneen’s own nocturnal “visiting” ritual
- “Your Body, Reframed” via Experience Life magazine — a piece Pilar referenced about the mixed feelings that often arise from weight loss
- “What We’re Really Hungry For” by Geneen Roth via The Sun magazine
- Sign up for The Living Experiment newsletter so you can stay up to date with us, get free gifts, and receive notifications when new episodes are released.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on Apple Podcasts to have fresh episodes delivered to your podcast feed each week.