This week on The Living Experiment, by listener request, we’re doing a special guest-episode follow-up on the topic of Conscious Language, a subject we originally addressed way back in episode #66.
Joining Pilar this week is Cat Thompson. She’s the teacher and friend who originally introduced Pilar to the study of Conscious Language.
Conscious Language is about noticing and choosing your words with awareness. It’s also about recognizing that everything you say both reflects and influences your daily reality — your perspectives, beliefs, attitudes, energy, and intention.
Here, Cat shares her expert insights about how Conscious Language works, and about why it might be worth incorporating into your life.
“Conscious Language 2” Episode Highlights
- “I am …” statements as a declaration and reflection of your reality
- Thinking about “I want …” as a self-programming intention to desire without having, and how rephrasing with more intention can bring the desired experience closer
- Language that expresses victimization and fear vs. empowerment and creation
- The Automatic Negative Thoughts stemming from childhood traumatic events and ancestral history, and how paying attention to our words can be the first step towards healing
- Cat’s simple questions to help process and evolve negative emotions
- The manifestation of guilt in “I should …” statements
- Suggestions for where and how to start changing your language to serve you better
- “I” vs. “You” statements, and speaking only from your own experience
- Why the younger generations are creating their own language, and considering that their language might be what they’ll need to function in a high-tech future
- The emotional awareness and Healthy Deviant skills required to move from a victim reality to a creator reality
Cat’s Experiment of the Week
If you’re feeling stressed or upset about something, use this worksheet to walk through your emotions. Later, when you’re not feeling so triggered, go back and look at the words your emotions used to talk to you. Notice what the different parts of your personality are trying to express, and how they’re creating those expressions. Do you see any trends that might make you aware of when you’re moving into a negative emotion?
Pilar’s Experiment of the Week
Healthy-Living Wisdom, Delivered to Your Door
Get your discounted print subscription to Experience Life magazine for just $19.95 — and sign up for their free e-newsletters, too!
Share the Love!
Have you told your friends and family about The Living Experiment? If you dig the podcast, please share it! Every recommendation from you means a lot!
We’d also love to have you connect with us on Facebook. Tell us about your experiments, and share your thoughts, stories and reflections there.
- Other episodes of The Living Experiment that reference Cat’s work and wisdom: “Conscious Language”, “Winter”, “Spring”, “Summer”, and “Autumn”
- Cat’s system of the Five Harmonics, an emotion-honoring evolution of Chinese Five-Element Theory, and her “voices of emotion” Worksheet
- The trauma brain book that Cat referenced: The Body Keeps the Score by Dr. Bessel van der Kolk
- Dr. Marilee Adams’ learner-judger Choice Map via the Inquiry Institute
- From Experience Life magazine: Cat’s article on “The Power of Language”
- Robert Tennyson Stevens’ Conscious Language: The Logos of Now, his Intro to Conscious Language course, and other resources at Mastery Systems
- Our “Astroturfing” episode — how special interests use language to manipulate people
- “CYMATICS: Science vs. Music” by Nigel Stanford, “Frequencies Sound + Vibration = Secret Geometry”, and Evan Grant’s TEDTalk on “Making sound visible through cymatics”
- Mariano Sigman’s TEDTalk: “Your words may predict your future mental health”
- Sign up for The Living Experiment newsletter so you can stay up to date with us, get free gifts, and receive notifications when new episodes are released.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on Apple Podcasts to have fresh episodes delivered to your podcast feed each week.