This week on The Living Experiment, we’re talking about the art of the Commute — the strategies that can make our daily trips less stressful and more rewarding, and the subtle shifts of attitude that can make them easier on your body and mind.
From redesigning your commuting environment to being more mindful of your media, we explore the skills and techniques that can rescue commuting from the realms of drudgery and elevate it to a daily practice you actually enjoy.
Finally, we offer you some experiments that can help you make your commute work better for you.
“Commute” Episode Highlights
- First, a listener question: What role can desserts play in a healthy eating plan?
- Next, Commute: Research that says the longer your commute, the less happy you are likely to be — but there are ways around that
- Why your commute might be decreasing your quality of life, and strategies for becoming a more conscious commuter
- The different characteristics of trips to and from work, and tips for entrepreneurs who are never off duty
- Using your commute to get some outdoor time
- The high costs of going unconscious in the car
For one week, instead of listening to talk radio, podcasts, news, or music that includes advertising, create your own playlist of songs or listen to an audio book. Or try silence and deep breathing.
1) Consciously redesign your commute environment. Declutter your car, organize its contents, introduce some essential oils and other sensory pleasures. If you don’t commute by car, think about other ways you can create a healthier, more enjoyable experience for yourself. Notice how the act of making those changes shift your commuting experience.
2) Practice Commuting Kindness, where you actively look for opportunities to accommodate other drivers, behave in friendly ways, project kind thoughts, and graciously anticipate their needs.
Share the Love!
Have you told your friends and family about The Living Experiment? If you dig it, please do! Every recommendation from you means a lot.
We’d also love to have you connect with us on Facebook. Tell us about your experiments, and share your thoughts, stories and reflections there.
- Upgrade your commuting environment using tips from Pilar’s sister, Feng Shui and decluttering expert Andrea Gerasimo, in “Order out of Chaos: The Car” via Experience Life magazine.
- Tips for transitioning from work to home in “Making the Transition” from Experience Life magazine.
- “10 Things Your Commute Does to Your Body” via Time magazine.
- Some compelling research on the health and happiness benefits of bike commuting via Experience Life magazine.
- Sign up for The Living Experiment newsletter so you can stay up to date with us, get free gifts, and receive notifications when new episodes are released.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on Apple Podcasts to have fresh episodes delivered to your podcast feed as soon as they’re available.