“Afro Flow Yoga” Episode Highlights
- Leslie’s background in dance and yoga, including her training at The Ailey School, plus a glimpse of her personal background
- Jeff’s musical lineage — a pianist grandmother who was a mentor to Roland Hayes and Marion Anderson; a father who played bass for Billie Holiday, Sammy Davis Jr. and Tom Jones; a classical soprano mother — and his influences, including Quincy Jones
- Leslie and Jeff’s early collaborations in live-music dance performances and fitness videos
- Leslie and Jeff’s explorations in West Africa — how witnessing slave dungeons and participating in traditional healing rituals informed Leslie and Jeff’s personal, professional and inter-cultural work
- Some examples of Afro Flow Yoga performances and classes
- Afro Flow Yoga as an inclusive, non-judgmental, healing, anti-racist, communal experience for anyone and everyone
- Conversations about race, trauma and healing in the aftermath of George Floyd’s murder
- Afro-Flow Yoga’s circle-class configuration — how this community-centered format promotes inclusion, connection and non-hierarchical exchange
- The post-pandemic future of Afro Flow Yoga, including in-person and virtual classes and multi-day retreats (see Resources, below, for more on those)
Pilar’s Experiment of the WeekTake an online Afro Flow Yoga class, or even just watch one, and notice what happens. How do you feel in your body when you follow Leslie’s cues and feel into the class vibe? How long has it been since you let your body do something that just feels good?
Leslie’s Experiment of the WeekLearn something about the history of the culture you came from, or spend some time studying your personal lineage. Often we know nothing about our ancestry, so give some thoughts to your roots and your interconnectedness with everyone.
Jeff’s Experiment of the WeekLook at a map of the area where you live and start to recognize place or feature names that might be indigenous in origin. Learn more about the First Nation cultures that occupied or passed through the area before you.
- The Afro Flow Yoga website — more on their classes, memberships, retreats, workshops, teacher training, private classes and other offerings
- The Afro Flow Yoga YouTube channel, where you can see Leslie and Jeff (and class goers) in action and find sample classes
- Pilar’s live video interview with Leslie and Jeff (where this episode was recorded)
- VIDEO: Afro Flow Yoga on the stage at Lincoln Center at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition’s “Transform Health” Conference
- VIDEO: Afro Flow Yoga class with guest artist Iyeoka Okoawo and other guests at The Dance Complex in Cambridge, Mass.
- VIDEO: Afro Flow Yoga on Dark Girls 2 documentary on OWN Network
- VIDEO: A trailer for a documentary about the pioneering artist-dancer-choreographer Alvin Ailey
- A profile on Afro Flow Yoga from the New York Times
- Upcoming Afro Flow Yoga retreats at Omega Blue Spirit in Costa Rica, January 2022
- Afro Flow Yoga’s recommended Anti-Racism and Healing Resources
- To learn more about your cultural lineage in the U.S., start with the links on this “Genealogy and Family History” page. Or interview a family elder!