“Pause” Episode Highlights
- Why trying to be consistently productive all day long doesn’t work (3:00)
- Circadian and ultradian rhythms in the body, and why they matter (6:30)
- Why managing time is less effective than managing energy (11:00)
- “You need to have a valley to have the next peak” — the rules of the ultradian healing response (12:00)
- The scientific research behind ultradian rhythms (13:00)
- How to know when you need a break, and the wide range of break options (15:00)
- How our go-go-go corporate culture undermines productivity and creativity (22:05)
- The relationship between ultradian rhythms and key health factors (26:00)
- How taking regular breaks can reduce emotional reactivity and improve willpower (27:30)
- Simple ways to pause during the day (30:20)
- Key takeaways (42:10)
- Experiments for the week (44:00)
This Week’s Experiments
Drink a glass of water each time you take a break.
- Set an alarm if you need initial reminders to break; effects of good hydration will encourage subsequent breaks.
Book two 15-minute interval breaks during the day to check in on your body.
- Aim for one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon break every day for a week. Start by just noticing how your body feels at those moments; bonus points for then taking the break your body wants.
Share the Love!
Each week, we offer you a few life-shifting experiments to try on your own. We’d love to hear how they turn out, and what insights they provoke! Connect with The Living Experiment on Facebook and Instagram, and share your stories with us there.
- Check out the ultradian rhythm chart at Pilar’s blog to see how your energy rises and falls throughout the day.
- Visit The Energy Project blog for more information on managing energy to improve productivity.
- Can’t turn out all the lights? Consider getting some blue blocking glasses.
- Sign up for our newsletter so you can stay up to date with us and get notified when a new episode is available.
- Subscribe to The Living Experiment on iTunes so you automatically get new episodes when they come out.
- Sponsor link: Check out Brian Johnson’s “Habits 101” Master Class for FREE.